Friday, November 2, 2018

Eye Am Radioactive!

No, this isn't some bizarre Halloween costume.  My first surgery was done this morning, plaque brachytherapy.

I am semi-isolated. My kitties and grandchildren cannot be in the same room as me, and anyone else has to stay six feet away. I wear a lead shield over the eye all the time except when I am alone.








This bracelet I am wearing identifies the iodine-125 radioactive material and exposure rate. The I-125 seeds are embedded in the plaque with silicone glue and the plaque is sewn on my eye covering the tumor, delivering a large amount of radiation directly to it, while minimizing the damage to the healthy surrounding areas.


This is the plaque that is sewn in my eye until Wednesday.

Figure 1.



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Eye eye Matey. Bet you are glad to get that over with. Have a good week and let those little radioactive guys do their job.๐Ÿ˜˜Claudia

Unknown said...

Glad this part is over, been thinking about you all day. Sending love and hugs.
Get lots of rest.
Love,
Gail
๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŒธ๐Ÿ’•

Susan @ Less is More Life said...

Aaargh, cuz๐Ÿ‘ป
My pirate name is Goldeneye.
I am doing so much better than I expected.
Thanks for tuning in๐Ÿ˜˜

Unknown said...

I’m sure glad this part is over, Pirate Lady. Continuing to keep you and your healing in my prayers!������❤️

Teri said...

That is quite the fashion statement and appropriate for the season. Listen to your body and get lots of rest.♥️๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

Unknown said...

Well Goldeneye, take care of yourself and count down the days. My prayers are with you. Strong women we are.

rebecca forte said...

Susan yay I was looking forward to "seeing" you. Glad you're starting the countdown to wellness♡

rebecca forte said...

Well a week has passed! How are you doing? Looking forward to hearing from you♡

Susan @ Less is More Life said...

Hi Becky- day 11 now. The stitches are driving me crazy, poking into my eyelid, feels like rocks in there. I hope to get them out Wednesday if they haven’t dissolved by then.
Hugs, s.