Monday, December 10, 2018

Hopeful news!

The long wait is over. I got a phone call this afternoon from the Oncology Supervisor managing my case. My genetic test results say that my tumor is Class 1B. This is hopeful news, giving me a fairly good prognosis.

Just before the plaque radiation was inserted, a fine needle biopsy was done to extract cells to be sent to a biosciences lab for genomic testing. The gene expression profile test predicts the five-year metastatic risk for ocular melanoma patients.
The test reports these tumor classes:
Class 1A: Low risk, with a 2% chance of the eye cancer spreading over the next five years;
Class 1B: Intermediate risk, with a 21% chance of metastasis within five years;

Class 2: High risk, with 72% odds of metastasis over five years.

Even better, I am told that there is only a 7% chance of metastasis within three years.

What happens now?
 - I will be referred to a medical oncologist, so that we can establish a relationship, should the time come when tumors grow in other body parts, particularly the liver, lungs and brain.
- My ocular oncologist will monitor the primary eye tumor for the next two years to make sure it is shrinking and not growing.
- I will most likely have MRI's of my liver and CT scans of my lungs every six months, as well as blood testing. We haven't set up the surveillance schedule yet, but this is the recommended protocol.

How Am I Feeling?
I am so relieved! I feel like I can go live the best life I know how, striving for a balance of physical well-being, creative activity that stimulates and nourishes me, and spiritual awareness and practices that engage and embrace the gift of life I've been given.

The eye itself is recovering steadily. I have blurry patches in my vision that are improving, and I can function quite well in my daily activities. I can read and drive. I believe I will regain normal sight in the months ahead.

The weeks of waiting for treatment and test results after the surgeries gave me time to dig deep and face my fears, time to clarify what is really important, and time to be grateful for the adventures and experiences I have had into my seventh decade, the friends I've made, the family we've created. 

The healing energy I get from all of you has no doubt helped create and sustain this hopeful state. Thank you for everything you do to walk this path with me. I know I am not alone, and everything is going to be okay.


6 comments:

rebecca forte said...

Susan needless to say you've received your Christmas gift early just in time to free your mind of the tremendous amount of worry! Prayers answered but still continue♡ we love you so much and the tears in my eyes are for you! When ypu get your next snowfall...make a snow angel you are one♡♡ so very happy for this news hugs Becky & Jim too

Teri said...

What wonderful news! I have no words to express how happy I am for you!

Susan @ Less is More Life said...

What a lovely image - a snow angel! Love you guys too <3

Unknown said...

Very good news!
You are strong and resilient and loved by so many.
Scans every six months? Piece of cake.....
You’ve got this.....
����������
Gail

Garry Forte said...

So glad to hear the good news ❤️ What a blessed Xmas it will be! Your perspective about about life will never be the same! God is good ❤️

Nora said...

Knew it all along �� ����